Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Down the Rabbit Hole

At midnight I find myself hanging at the edge of a hundred foot drop. I'm a little nervous because I've never done this before. Half of me says to stay on solid ground. But I am feeling reckless tonight. I loosen the rope behind me and defy gravity by walking backwards down a sheer cliff. Above me are the eyes of my friends watching me descend. Below me is an endless pitch black, which I am grateful for. If I could see the bottom I might psych myself out and get scared by realizing just how high I really am. The mist of a waterfall to my right sprays my face and I think of how much more amazing this is than staying home to work. Good thing I shirked my responsibilities. I let my feet follow the natural path of the rope and imagine what it would be like to continually exist parallel to the ground in this new vertical world. I'm not exactly sure how long the whole descent takes, but somehow its going really fast but lasting forever. I edge past some trees and before I know it my feet hit the bottom and I stumble a little while trying to regain regular balance. Not bad for my first rappel.

I wish I had asked one of my friends to take pictures of me going down, but I was too preoccupied with the idea of stepping off a cliff backwards into the darkness that I forgot to do that. Instead I snapped pictures of Lindsay going down. And she rocked it. Victory s'mores were had afterward.

Photobucket

Over the Edge


Photobucket

Down the Rabbit Hole


Photobucket

Victory S'mores

2 comments:

Dave said...

I love finding new blogs. Rapeller? I'm jealous!

Teryn said...

you go girl! Beautifully written, awesome experience, love it ;)