Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Starboard Side

Last weekend I went sailing with Captain Dave Broadbent and crew. It was fittingly on National Talk Like a Pirate Day. We set sail out of the marina. I couldn't help but wonder what life at sea would really be like when I saw the crowds of weather worn vessels all stacked around the docks. You could tell some people made their boats into their homes now, especially since recession hit. The small quarters below our boat made me grateful for what I usually thought was a much too small apartment for me to be living in back up in LA. But I'll admit, this boat would make for a fun expedition out to sea. We were going only for a few hours to sail up towards Santa Monica. The weather was beautiful. It was nice to get out of the speed of the city for a while. I thought maybe we would see some dolphins or even spot a shark, but on whole the trip was pretty uneventful. And that is just how I liked it actually.

Life in LA gets really crazy. I can hardly remember a day when I legitimately slept in without feeling guilty of wasting my time. There is just too much to get done and only so much time to do it all. I guess that's why people get so angry on the road down here. If you miss one green light because of a slow driver, that offsets your entire time line for the day. I miss how in Oregon I had no obligations and nowhere to be except the places I felt like being. As my roommate puts it, in LA you feel like you are 'drowning in responsibilities.' This boating trip defied that concept. I wish I was more reckless with my time.

Photobucket

"Hazy Morning"

Rest Stop

"Rest Stop"

Photobucket

"Shades of Blue"

Tip Toe

"Tip Toe"

Photobucket

"Primaries"

Photobucket

"All Aboard the Peanut Butter"

3 comments:

Teryn said...

Yay! I'm so GLAD you posted on your blog! I wish I could've gone sailing with you! It sounds like it was just what you needed ;)

Keep the updates coming!

Hugs from Washington!
Teryn

Steph said...

love the peanut butter! ;) hehe. i'm so glad you had fun...we miss you, cousin!

-s, r, & j

Dave said...

:) Glad you could come.